22 feb. 2014

Antonius Rex – Hystero Demonopathy


I heard Antonius Rex´s album Hystero Demonopathy by a chance when I was surfing over youtube. However, it felt like I have heard this before. And when I checked them out I found out that behind Antonius Rex is Antonio Bartoccetti, he has another project under the name Jacula. And Jacula released their first album 1969.

I got stuck into this album, I have listen on it with repeat in the past week. It felt like I found the holy grail, a lost treasure. This is fantastic!

Hystero Demonopathy was official released 2012-12-12. This is gothic progressive rock, very dark and evil with a blend of humor. It is mainly instrumental, sometimes there is speaking whispering vocals and sometimes samples, I guess from old movies.

I can find so much things inside this record, I do not know if it is influences or who influence who here. Antonio Bartoccetti have somehow kept his style since the old time Jacula. But I felt much reminding of Devil Doll, even Laibach, Sopor Aeternus and Madre Del Vizio sometimes. There is of course progressive rock, sometimes with a blend of 70´s jazz touch, but also neofolk, metal, classic music ect. Antonius Rex have succeeded here to build up an atmosphere where you can picture a story from the beginning of this record til the end. The story feels very much medieval, and I guess there is a witch hunt by knights. Some moments they really succeeded to build up a hunting atmosphere. I really jumped on my chair when I heard samplings with my Swedish native language. “Du är så snäll mot mig”, that means “You are so kind to me”. I need to figure it out from where Antonius Rex have took this sentences from.

You should give this album a chance, and listen to it in a relaxing moment because this is music that brings a vision of a story, and there is not a happy ending in this one.

Facebook
Homepage

This article can also be found at Dark Reviews

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar